keyboard_backspaceBack to main blog page

Fleming Financial Services Blog

At Fleming Financial Services, Inc., our role is to assist our clients in defining and realizing their financial objectives and goals. We work with our clients to implement personalized plans designed for their unique situations. Our areas of concentration are: Retirement planning, Estate and Wealth Transfer strategies, and Business Continuation planning. We emphasize the importance of conducting our business with integrity and professionalism. As a member of PartnersFinancial, an independent national financial services company, we are able to provide access to sophisticated resources for the benefit of our clients. Some of the professionals with our firm are currently registered to conduct business through NFP Securities, Inc. With those additional resources in place, we help facilitate the complex corporate and personal financial decisions our clients must make.

In-Service Withdrawals from 401(k) Plans - Part 2

Thomas Joseph Thomas Joseph , 12/18/2014
This content has not been rated yet.
But there are some disadvantages to hardship withdrawals, in addition to the tax consequences described below. You can't take a hardship withdrawal at all until you've first withdrawn all other funds, and taken all nontaxable plan loans, available to you under all retirement plans maintained by your employer. And, in most 401(k) plans, your employer must suspend your participation in the plan for at least six months after the withdrawal, meaning you could lose valuable employer matching contributions.  And hardship withdrawals can't be rolled over. So think carefully before making a hardship withdrawal. Fleming Financial Services, PA, 401KWithdrawing employer contributions Getting employer dollars out of a 401(k) plan can be even more challenging. While some plans won't let you withdraw employer contributions at all before you terminate employment, other plans are more flexible, and let you withdraw at least some vested employer contributions before then. "Vested" means that you own the contributions and they can't be forfeited for any reason. In general, a 401(k) plan can allow you to withdraw vested company matching and profit-sharing contributions if: • You become disabled • You incur a hardship (your employer has some discretion in how hardship is defined for this purpose) • You attain a specified age (for example, 59½) • You participate in the plan for at least five years, or • The employer contribution has been in the account for a specified period of time (generally at least two years) Taxation Your own pretax contributions, company contributions, and investment earnings are subject to income tax when you withdraw them from the plan. If you've made any after-tax contributions, they'll be nontaxable when withdrawn. Each withdrawal you make is deemed to carry out a pro-rata portion of taxable and any nontaxable dollars. Your Roth contributions, and investment earnings on them, are taxed separately: if your distribution is "qualified," then your withdrawal will be entirely free from federal income taxes. If your withdrawal is "nonqualified," then each withdrawal will be deemed to carry out a pro-rata amount of your nontaxable Roth contributions and taxable investment earnings.  A distribution is qualified if you satisfy a five-year holding period, and your distribution is made either after you've reached age 59½, or after you've become disabled. The five-year period begins on the first day of the first calendar year you make your first Roth 401(k) contribution to the plan. The taxable portion of your distribution may be subject to a 10% premature distribution tax, in addition to any income tax due, unless an exception applies. Exceptions to the penalty include distributions after age 59½, distributions on account of disability, qualified reservist distributions, and distributions to pay medical expenses. Rollovers and conversions - Rollover of non-Roth funds If your in-service withdrawal qualifies as an "eligible rollover distribution," you can roll over all or part of the withdrawal tax free to a traditional IRA or to another employer's plan that accepts rollovers. In general, most in-service withdrawals qualify as eligible rollover distributions except for hardship withdrawals and required minimum distributions after age 70½. If your withdrawal qualifies as an eligible rollover distribution, your plan administrator will give you a notice (a "402(f) notice") explaining the rollover rules, the withholding rules, and other related tax issues. (Your plan administrator will withhold 20% of the taxable portion of your eligible rollover distribution for federal income tax purposes if you don't directly roll the funds over to another plan or IRA.) You can also roll over ("convert") an eligible rollover distribution of non-Roth funds to a Roth IRA. And some 401(k) plans even allow you to make an "in-plan conversion"--that is, you can request an in-service withdrawal of non-Roth funds, and have those dollars transferred into a Roth account within the same 401(k) plan. In either case, you'll pay income tax on the amount you convert (less any nontaxable after-tax contributions you've made). Rollover of Roth funds If you withdraw funds from your Roth 401(k) account, those dollars can only be rolled over to a Roth IRA, or to another Roth 401(k)/403(b)/457(b) plan that accepts rollovers. (Again, hardship withdrawals can't be rolled over.) But be sure to understand how a rollover will affect the taxation of future distributions from the IRA or plan. For example, if you roll over a nonqualified distribution from a Roth 401(k) account to a Roth IRA, the Roth IRA five-year holding period will apply when determining if any future distributions from the IRA are tax-free qualified distributions. That is, you won't get credit for the time those dollars resided in the 401(k) plan. Be informed You should become familiar with the terms of your employer's 401(k) plan to understand your particular withdrawal rights. A good place to start is the plan's summary plan description (SPD). Your employer will give you a copy of the SPD within 90 days after you join the plan. ©2013 Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.