With the holidays upon us, many folks will be making travel plans and purchasing auto insurance for travel to Mexico...some for the first time. In order to make this hectic time flow a little more smoothly for your clients, we've put together a list of the absolute basics they should know before purchasing a Mexican auto insurance policy through you.
Mexican Auto Insurance
1. No Mexican Plated Vehicles. Since your client will purchase a "Tourist Insurance Policy", ONLY vehicles with U.S. or Canadian registrations are eligible. Mexican rentals are excluded for this reason.
2. Anyone is covered to drive a clients vehicle under this Policy, as long as they:
a.) have a valid U.S. or Canadian Driver's License,
b.) are 21 years of age or older, and
c.) have the permission of the owner to be driving the vehicle.
Additional drivers do not have to be listed on the policy, although up to three names can be added. Tell your client NOT to let anyone drive their vehicle who has a Mexican Driver's License, as this will void coverage.
3. Be sure clients include any towed items on the policy. Anything being towed to Mexico with an insured’s vehicle that is not listed on the policy will void coverage. Be sure towed items are listed in the "Towed Unit" section of the Mexican insurance application.
4. Be sure your clients file their claims in Mexico! In the unfortunate event of a theft or collision, it is important your client call the number on his/her policy so an adjuster can come to the scene and make a report. Returning to the U.S. without the adjuster's report will void coverage.
5. Always print two copies of the policy. It's a good idea to print two copies of the Mexican auto insurance policy. Clients should keep one in their glove box, and one at their hotel. That way if the vehicle is stolen, proof of insurance and the phone numbers needed to make a claim will still be available.
6. Check the A.M. BEST rating. Show your clients they are being insured by a financially secure insurer in Mexico.
The MexicoInsuranceOnline.com insurance professionals have done the footwork in determining which Mexico insurers are the best for your clients. We only represent stable Mexico Insurance companies who are in the top tier of the A.M. Best Rating.