Auto Insurance

An Auto Insurance policy is a package of coverages.

Although most states require you to purchase only minimum amounts of certain coverages, we'd recommend buying more than the minimum to protect yourself against hefty legal, repair, and medical bills.

If you are looking for auto insurance, truck insurance or car insurance for your business, go to our commercial auto insurance section.

Auto Insurance Liability

If you're at fault in an accident, Liability coverage will pay for expenses to third parties involved, including legal bills (for example, the other party might sue you for “pain and suffering” damages).

Bodily Injury covers medical bills and lost wages, while Property Damage pays for repairing or replacing items you damaged other than your own car.

Car Insurance Collision and Comprehensive Coverages

If you cause an accident, Collision coverage will pay to repair your vehicle, up to its book value. Because Collision is usually the most expensive Auto coverage, if the car is worth less than book value, you're better off not buying this coverage. Choosing a higher deductible can also help reduce your premium.

Comprehensive coverage will pay for damages to your car that weren't due to an auto accident (for example, theft, fire, vandalism, or natural disasters). It also comes with a deductible and will pay no more than book value.

Medical Payments, PIP, and No-Fault

Medical Payments (MedPay) will cover your and your passengers' medical expenses after an auto accident while you're driving your or someone else's vehicle (with their permission), as well as injuries to you or family members as a pedestrian.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and broader “No-Fault” coverages are expanded forms of Medical Payments protection that your state might require.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists

Uninsured Motorists (UM) pays for your injuries if you're struck by a hit-and-run driver or someone without Auto insurance. Underinsured Motorists (UIM) will pay if the driver who hit you causes more damage than their Auto Liability policy can cover. It's wise to have at least the minimal amount of UM/UIM because if you can't find the other driver, you'll have some coverage for pain-and-suffering damages.
get a free no-obligation Quote now!

Top 10 Car Songs

10. Little Red Corvette
9. Pink Cadillac
8. Fast Car
7. American Pie
6. Route 66,
5. Mercedes Benz, Janis Joplin
4. Mustang Sally & GTO
3. King of the Road
2. Drive My Car
1. Hot Rod Lincoln

AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
Auto Insurance Advocate
Auto Restorer Online


Q: Do I need to purchase insurance when I rent a car?
A: Your rental car will be covered by your insurance for up to 30 consecutive days providing the same coverage you have on your own automobile. You may have to pay for additional coverage if you do not have collision and comprehensive coverage on your own vehicle. Insurance policies vary, and many do not cover travel in Mexico , so check your policy coverage.

Q: What factors affect my Auto insurance rates?
A: Your auto insurance premium is based on several factors. The most significant factors are: driving record, the number of miles you drive annually and number of years of driving experience you have. Other factors which can also affect your rates are: the type of car you drive, how the vehicle is used, where you live and marital status. Statistics show that married people tend to have fewer accidents than single people.

Q: What is uninsured motorist insurance and do I need it?
A: Uninsured motorist insurance offers compensatory damage payments in the event of a motor vehicle accident with a driver would doesn't have insurance. Other types of damages, such as punitive, are not usually covered. Since not all states require drivers to purchase insurance, uninsured motorist coverage is essential to protect yourself.